HEARTY LENTIL SOUP
This Hearty Lentil Soup isn’t just nutritious; it’s also a comforting and delicious option. Slow simmered in a savory vegetable broth, with wholesome lentils and a medley of onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, and diced tomatoes. This large pot will keep you happy for days.
WHOLESOME & HEARTY
This hearty lentil soup is wholesome and delicious, with a focus on nutrient-rich ingredients like lentils, a rainbow of vegetables, and a flavorful vegetable broth.
SLOWLY SIMMERED TO BRING OUT FLAVORS
The secret to this hearty lentil soup lies in the gentle, slow simmering process, whether on the stove or in a pressure cooker. This method harmonizes the flavors and transforms the lentils into a delightful, tender texture.
Diced Veggies: Onions, Celery, Carrots, & Potatoes
Spices: Italian Seasoning, Paprika, Cumin, Salt & Pepper
Favorite Plant Based Sausage
TRADITIONAL RECIPE CARD
The Traditional Recipe Card is the most common way to view an online recipe but we encourage you to try our SIGNATURE ONE-PAGE RECIPE VIEW above. We think you will love the layout!
TO HELP YOU ORGANIZE YOUR SHOPPING LIST...
The Traditional Recipe Card below may include affiliate links. When we can, we link common store-bought items via Instacart directly inside the recipe card so you can easily compile a shopping list and place an order, if you desire. By doing this, we may earn a modest commission from the items you purchase, all without any extra cost to you.
Hearty Lentil Soup
- Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion
- 4 ribs Celery
- ½ to 1 bag Baby Carrots (16 oz)
- 2 cups Baby Potatoes (or more to taste)
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning Blend
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 cups Green Lentils
- 1 large can Diced Tomatoes (28 oz)
- 2+ cartons Vegetable Broth (32 oz each)
- 1 package Plant Based Sausage Links of Choice
Optional to Serve With:
- •Salt & Pepper to taste
- •Nutritional Yeast
Prepare & Cook Veggies
- Heat generous drizzle of olive oil in 8 an quart stockpot over medium heatOlive Oil
- Dice onion & celery, add to pot.1 large Onion, 4 ribs Celery
- Add minced garlic, mix well and cook about 5 minutes.2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- Meanwhile, chop baby carrots in half and dice baby potatoes.½ to 1 bag Baby Carrots, 2 cups Baby Potatoes
- Add carrots and potatoes to pot, mix well and cook about 5 minutes.
- ☼You can add more of these ingredients to fill up the pot even more!
- Add all seasonings to the pot and mix well.1 tbsp Italian Seasoning Blend, 2 tsp Paprika, 1 tsp Ground Cumin, 1 tsp Salt, 1 tsp Pepper
Add Remaining Ingredients
- Add the lentils and tomatoes to the pot.2 cups Green Lentils, 1 large can Diced Tomatoes
- Add broth, start with 2 cartons and add more if necessary.2+ cartons Vegetable Broth
- Mix well bring to a slight boil and then turn down to simmer.
- Place lid with side vent open. Cook about 2 hours, mixing occasionally (scraping from the bottom).
- After cooking for about an hour, taste & adjust seasonings as desired (will likely need more salt) and add more broth to thin out, if necessary.
Prepare Recommended Plant Based Sausage
- While soup is simmering, dice sausage links and brown according to directions. Set aside.1 package Plant Based Sausage Links of Choice
- Fill bowl with soup, plant based sausage, and optional toppings:•Salt & Pepper to taste, •Sriracha, •Nutritional Yeast
OPTIONAL INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS:
- This recipe works GREAT in a pressure cooker!■ Select sauté setting for veggies.■ Add remaining ingredients **BUT REDUCE LENTILS TO 1 CUPAND FILL BROTH ONLY TO MAX FILL LINE***■ Mix well, turn off the sauté setting, cover, and set the pot to pressure cook, high setting for 30 minutes (will take about 10 min to pressurize).■ After cooking, allow the pot to naturally depressurize for 15 min. Carefully turn the valve to venting. Remove the lid and mix well.