LOADED ACORN SQUASH
Naturally sweet oven-roasted loaded acorn squash is filled with a flavorful and nutritious stuffing of lentils, wild rice, and vegetables then finished with a walnut cranberry twist.
TENDER SWEET SQUASH
This loaded acorn squash is easier than you may think. Simply cut an acorn squash in half, scoop out the strands and seeds, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Then roast flesh side down about 45 minutes until tender.
HEARTY LENTIL FILLING
Prepare this delicious and hearty stuffing with onions, celery, carrots, green lentils, and wild rice blend. Season with common pantry seasonings and cook until tender. Finish with walnuts and cranberries and fill the stuffing into the squash. This recipe tastes just as good as it looks.
TRADITIONAL RECIPE CARD
The Traditional Recipe Card is the most common way to view an online recipe but we encourage you to try our SIGNATURE ONE-PAGE RECIPE VIEW above. We think you will love the layout!
TO HELP YOU ORGANIZE YOUR SHOPPING LIST...
The Traditional Recipe Card below may include affiliate links. When we can, we link common store-bought items via Instacart directly inside the recipe card so you can easily compile a shopping list and place an order, if you desire. By doing this, we may earn a modest commission from the items you purchase, all without any extra cost to you.
Loaded Acorn Squash
- Olive Oil
- 2 Acorn Squash
- Sprinkle of Salt & Pepper
VEGGIES FOR STUFFING
- Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Ribs Celery
- 15 +/- Baby Carrots
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Dried Sage
- ½ tsp Thyme
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp each Salt & Pepper
- 1 Box Vegetable Broth (32 oz)
- 1 Cup Dried Whole Green Lentils
- ½ Cup Wild Rice Blend
- ½ Cup Walnuts
- ⅓ Cup Dried Cranberries
- Handful Fresh Parsley
PREPARE ACORN SQUASH
- Preheat Oven to 400°.
- Wash the outside of the squash.
- Cut each squash in half and scoop & toss out the the strands and seeds.2 Acorn Squash
- Drizzle a small amount of oil inside the squash and with hands or a brush spread it around entire orange flesh. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place orange flesh side down on parchment lined baking sheet.Olive Oil, Sprinkle of Salt & Pepper
- Cook for about 45 minutes, checking for desired tenderness at 40 min.
PREPARE STUFFING WHILE SQUASH IS ROASTING
- Drizzle oil in large skillet over medium heat.Olive Oil
- Dice onion and add to pan.1 Medium Onion
- Dice celery into small pieces and add to pan. Mix well.2 Ribs Celery
- Cut carrots into small coins and add to pan. Mix well and cook until vegetables begin to soften (about 4-5 minutes), stirring often.15 +/- Baby Carrots
- Add all seasonings to mixture and mix well. Cook about 2 minutes to incorporate, stirring occassionally.1 tbsp Italian Seasoning, 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast, 1 tsp Garlic Powder, ½ tsp Dried Sage, ½ tsp Thyme, ½ tsp Nutmeg, ½ tsp each Salt & Pepper
COOK STUFFING MIXTURE
- Add broth, lentils, and rice to mixture and mix well to fully combine.1 Box Vegetable Broth, 1 Cup Dried Whole Green Lentils, ½ Cup Wild Rice Blend
- Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook about 40-45 minutes until lentils are tender and stir occasionally. This may take more or less time, be flexible & check often beginning about 35 minutes.
AFTER LENTILS ARE COOKED TO DESIRED TENDERNESS
- Taste mixture & adjust spices as desired (likely need more salt & pepper).
- Rough chop walnuts. Add walnuts and cranberries to mixture and mix well to incorporate. Heat through another 5 minutes.½ Cup Walnuts, ⅓ Cup Dried Cranberries
- TO SERVE: Spoon stuffing mixture into squash and sprinkle with optional parsley for color.Handful Fresh Parsley