VEGAN SPLIT PEA SOUP
Indulge in the warm and hearty flavors of this Vegan Split Pea Soup, a comforting dish perfect for cozy nights. Whether you choose to prepare it on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot, this recipe is both delicious and versatile.
THICK AND CREAMY CLASSIC
Our Vegan Split Pea Soup is a testament to its rich, velvety, and indulgently creamy texture. Each spoonful offers pure comfort and satisfaction, making it a go-to choice for those seeking a luscious and flavorful experience.
The split peas break down as they cook, creating a decadent consistency that’s a hallmark of this classic comfort food. Slowly cook this Vegan Split Pea Soup 1-2 hours to create the masterpiece and consistency just right for you.
Sauté Onions, Minced Garlic, & Carrots
Rinse Split Peas
Add Spices, Vegetable Broth, and Slow Cook 1-2 Hours
Vegan Split Pea Soup Ingredients
TRADITIONAL RECIPE CARD
The Traditional Recipe Card is the most common way to view an online recipe but we encourage you to try our SIGNATURE ONE-PAGE RECIPE VIEW above. We think you will love the layout!
TO HELP YOU ORGANIZE YOUR SHOPPING LIST...
The Traditional Recipe Card below may include affiliate links. When we can, we link common store-bought items via Instacart directly inside the recipe card so you can easily compile a shopping list and place an order, if you desire. By doing this, we may earn a modest commission from the items you purchase, all without any extra cost to you.
Vegan Split Pea Soup
- Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- ½ to 1 lb Baby Carrots or substitute regular carrots
- 1 Large Bay Leaf
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Marjoram
- 16 oz Dried Split Peas
- 1½ Containers Vegetable Broth (plus more to adjust consistency) (32 oz)
- Nutritional Yeast
- Crusty Bread or Saltines
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
Choose 6 QT Stockpot - Easily Double with 8 QT Stockpot
- Heat olive oil in a 6 qt stockpot.Olive Oil
- Dice onions and add to the pot, cook for about 3 minutes, then add garlic and mix well.1 Medium Onion, 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
While Onions Are Cooking - Prepare Carrots
- Cut carrots and add them to the pot, heating for 2-3 minutes.½ to 1 lb Baby Carrots
- Add bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper, paprika, and marjoram. Cook for 2-3 minutes.1 Large Bay Leaf, 2 tsp Oregano, 1 tsp Salt, ½ tsp Pepper, ½ tsp Paprika, ½ tsp Marjoram
Prepare Split Peas & Cook
- Rinse and sort split peas, then add them and the vegetable broth to the pot. Mix well.16 oz Dried Split Peas, 1½ Containers Vegetable Broth (plus more to adjust consistency)
- Once the soup begins to bubble slightly, reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 1-2 hours until the desired texture is achieved, stirring occasionally and adding more broth as needed.
- Taste and adjust spices, adding more salt if necessary.
- Serve with nutritional yeast and crackers or crusty bread.Nutritional Yeast, Crusty Bread or Saltines, Salt & Pepper to Taste
Instant Pot Instructions
- Use the Saute setting to heat olive oil, add onions and cook for about 3 minutues. Then add garlic and cook one more minute. Mix well.Add carrots, spices, split peas and vegetable broth to the pot. Mix well, turn off saute setting, cover, and set Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 20 minutes.Allow the pot to naturally depressurize for 10 minutes, then carefully release the remaining pressure.After cooking is complete, add additional broth to reach the desired consistency.